The purpose of the Convincer was to educate the general public of how beneficial the use of seat belts can be even when involved in a low speed collision. It is a very effective tool for safety presentations at high schools, businesses, fairs, community events, drivers’ education programs. It allows the rider to experience the surprising amount of force generated with such a low speed collision and to gain respect for the benefit that a seat belt can provide.
The passenger enters the carriage at the top of the slide and buckles into the seat. Once the rider is properly fastened in the seat belt and its fitment is double-checked, the operator rotates the lever from the “return” position to the “convince” position. The secured rider slides down the track and collides with the front bumpers, safely experiencing a simulated crash. After impact, the rider exits the machine at the bottom. The Convincer is then returned to the top of the carriage in preparation for the next rider.
- Reinforcing safety belt/child safety seat enforcement
- Enhancing public/private cooperative efforts in traffic safety
- Increasing safety belt and child safety seat use
- Decreasing severity of injury suffered as a consequence of rollover and other crashes
- Increasing the number of children riding in the back seat